When you’re missing a tooth or two, a viable option is to replace it with a bridge and a dental crown. This permanent dental appliance includes several components that are attached to perfectly fit into the spaces left by your lost teeth. Here at Artistic Dentistry in Huntsville AL, one of the ways Dr. Michael Pugh replaces lost teeth is through crowns and bridges.
What Exactly is a Bridge?
A dental bridge is utilized for replacing lost permanent teeth to provide a sufficient chewing surface as well as for cosmetic purposes. It contains one or more synthetic teeth, known as pontics, which are held in place by dental crown abutments on both sides of the pontics.
The dental bridge itself could be created from different kinds of materials such as porcelain, alloys, or gold. Porcelain is the most common material used for restoring front teeth since it could be made to perfectly match your real teeth color. The synthetic or false teeth are fabricated to match your missing teeth size and shape.
The main purpose of the crowns, on the other hand, is to keep the synthetic teeth in the middle portion of the dental bridge in place. These dental crowns could be kept in place by your real teeth or affixed atop dental implants.
Dental Bridge Benefits
- Restores the natural look of your smile and mouth
- Restores your ability to talk properly
- Prevents your adjacent teeth from shifting
- Maintains your facial structure since it prevents the loss of jawbone in the area of the missing teeth
- Restores your ability to eat food efficiently
Is a Dental Bridge Right for You?
Not all people are eligible for Huntsville crowns and bridges. Your dentist in Huntsville AL will need to take into consideration these factors when determining your candidacy for the procedure:
- Missing one or a couple of permanent teeth
- Having healthy teeth that can support the dental bridge
- Having excellent oral health
- Being generally healthy, meaning that you have no underlying chronic health issues
Need More Information Crowns and Bridges in the Huntsville AL area, Reach Out to Us
Call (256) 536-3386 to arrange a consultation with Dr. Michael Pugh here at Artistic Dentistry in Huntsville AL today.
Keeping your gums healthy isn’t that difficult. It starts with these helpful steps…
If your gums are constantly inflamed this could be because there is a serious infection lurking under the gums that could lead to bone, tooth and gum loss if left untreated. Since periodontitis is the leading cause of tooth loss in adults, it’s important to be able to recognize the warning signs of gum disease as soon as possible so you can make an appointment with our Huntsville, AL, dentist Dr. Michael Pugh.
Some signs of gum disease include,
- Red, inflamed gums
- Swollen, tender gums
- Bleeding gums, particularly when brushing and flossing
- Chronic bad breath
- Receding or shrinking gums
- Pockets between the teeth and gums
- A change in the way teeth fit together
In the very beginning, you may only notice that your gums look a little red or puffy. If inflamed gums do not go away after a couple of days it’s important that you see your Huntsville, AL, family dentist to find out if it could be gum disease.
Can you prevent gum disease?
Gum disease can certainly sound pretty scary when you think about it; however, if you maintain good oral hygiene you probably won’t have to worry about it. Just like decay, gum disease can be prevented with good oral care. If you want to prevent gum disease from happening to you here are some rules to follow,
- Brush at least twice a day (for at least two minutes each time)
- Floss once a day
- Use fluoride toothpaste
- Rinse with an antibacterial mouthwash
- Eat a healthy, balanced diet
- Quit or avoid smoking
- Limit alcohol consumption
Are there risk factors for gum disease?
Some factors that could increase your risk for gum disease include,
- Hormonal fluctuations (pregnant and menopausal women are at an increased risk)
- Smoking or using tobacco products
- Misaligned or crooked teeth
- Certain medications
- Poor diet
- Poor oral hygiene
If you’re on the hunt for a dentist in Huntsville, AL, that can provide you and your family with the dental care you deserve for a healthy smile then call Dr. Michael Pugh today at (256) 536-3386 to schedule cleanings and checkups for the whole family.
Proper dental care at home is important for people of all ages. After all, not only does it protect you from tooth decay and gum disease, but good oral hygiene can also reduce your risk of heart disease. Although your dentist, Dr. Michael S. Pugh of Artistic Dentistry in Huntsville, AL, and his team provide general and cosmetic dentistry to patients, at-home care is still essential to maintaining proper oral health—read on to learn more.
10 Tips for At-Home Oral Care
- Make a smart toothbrush choice: Pick an angled toothbrush that has soft bristles and is the right size to fit comfortably in your mouth.
- Pick the right paste: Use a toothpaste with fluoride, this will help strengthen your teeth enamel.
- Get the right brushing motion: Hold your toothbrush at a 45-degree angle to your teeth and make small, circular motions that include your teeth and gum line.
- Make your timing right: Brush twice each day, morning and night. You should wait at least 30 minutes after eating before you brush to avoid damaging your teeth.
- Don't forget to gloss: You should floss after brushing to remove trapped food particles from between your teeth. If you find it tricky to use dental floss, try using a water flosser.
- Stick your tongue out: Don’t forget to clean your tongue with a scraper. Some toothbrushes have a cheek and tongue scraper on the base of the brush.
- Kick bad habits: Quit smoking. Avoid sugary foods/beverages, and don’t grind your teeth.
- Drink plenty of water: It’s important to keep the inside of your mouth moist. If it dries out, plaque can build up faster.
- Visit your dentist: You should make a regular 6-month visit to your Huntsville dentist for a check-up and professional cleaning. This will help reduce your risk of tooth decay, gum disease, and tooth loss.
If you’re looking for a dentist in Huntsville, call Dr. Pugh of Artistic Dentistry at (256) 536-3386.
Is your smile making you look older than you want to? Are your teeth dull and yellow? Do you want to make your smile whiter and more attractive? If you answered yes to any of these questions, you are ready for a professional teeth whitening treatment.
Dr. Michael Pugh in Huntsville, Alabama offers a wide range of preventive, restorative, and cosmetic dental services including professional teeth whitening to enhance your smile.
You may have tried over-the-counter whitening products, only to find they didn’t whiten your teeth enough, made your teeth sensitive, or the results didn’t last. Professional teeth whitening is different. When you choose professional teeth whitening, you can be sure of:
- Excellent results, because you can whiten your teeth up to 8 shades whiter.
- Long-term benefits, because your results can last for years.
- Safe treatment, because professional teeth whitening products have been approved by the American Dental Association.
There are many things that can make your smile dull and yellow. Aging is one of the main factors. As you age, your enamel becomes thinner, allowing you and others to see the layer underneath, called dentin. This layer is naturally yellow, so the more dentin you can see, the more yellow your smile will look.
If you drink coffee, tea, or red wine, the pigments in these beverages can give you dark stains in your smile. Even blueberries, a healthy food, can stain your teeth. If you use tobacco products, they can add layers of stains to your teeth.
The good news is, professional teeth whitening can eliminate stains and yellowing, giving you the bright, white smile you deserve. Professional teeth whitening treatment is quick, offering excellent results in about an hour. That means you can have a bright, dazzling smile just in time for a special event like a wedding or reunion when you want to look your best.
You don’t have to settle for a dull, unappealing smile when a brilliant smile is just a phone call away. It’s time to discover the magic of professional teeth whitening by calling Dr. Michael Pugh in Huntsville, Alabama at (256) 536-3386. Let professional teeth whitening improve your look by calling today.
Orthodontic treatment is a great investment in your smile and oral health, but some teenagers and adult patients can be understandably reluctant to commit to wearing traditional metal braces. Invisalign clear aligner trays are a discreet and effective alternative to braces for a number of common orthodontic problems like crowding or an overbite. Our Huntsville, AL, dentist Dr. Michael Pugh offers Invisalign and other general and cosmetic dentistry services.
The Invisalign Difference
The Invisalign system corrects bite and alignment problems in much the same way as traditional braces: by gently shifting your teeth into the correct position gradually over time. Unlike braces, Invisalign trays are made of clear plastic that fits over your teeth, so in addition to being practically invisible, they don't require wires or rubber bands.
Invisalign trays are also removable for up to two hours every day, so you also have the freedom to continue enjoying your favorite foods and to keep up with your oral hygiene routine. The trays are custom designed for your specific needs, and each tray is worn for approximately two weeks. Everyone is different, but in some cases the length of the treatment period is also shorter than with traditional braces.
Is Invisalign Right for You?
Like all dental treatments and procedures, Invisalign is not a one size fits all solution, and are not always the best choice for everyone. Dr. Pugh will perform a comprehensive dental exam at our Huntsville office to help determine whether Invisalign is the best option for you or your child. The Invisalign system works best for mild to moderate bite problems, and there are some situations where traditional braces may be the better option.
Find a Dentist in Huntsville, AL
For more information about the benefits of choosing Invisalign and to find out if clear aligner trays are right for you, contact us today by calling (256) 536-3386 to schedule an appointment with Dr. Pugh at in Huntsville, AL.
This website includes materials that are protected by copyright, or other proprietary rights. Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use, as defined in the copyright laws, requires the written permission of the copyright owners.