How Crowns Help Your Smile
Crowns offer an excellent solution if you're concerned about a flaw in your smile or want to stabilize a damaged tooth. Huntsville, AL, dentist Dr. Michael Pugh explains how you can improve your smile with a crown.
What are crowns?
Crowns are made of durable porcelain and look just like natural teeth. They're hollow inside, which allows them to fit over your teeth easily. Dental technicians create your new crown using an impression of your mouth made in our Huntsville office. Before the impression is made, the tooth is reduced in size slightly. While you wait for the dental laboratory to create your crown, you'll wear a temporary crown. Your permanent crown is attached to your tooth with dental cement after a few minor adjustments are made.
Are crowns a good choice for me?
You may benefit from a crown if:
- You don't like the way your tooth looks: Crowns are often used to completely change the appearance of a tooth. They offer an excellent solution if you want to improve the appearance of a twisted or crooked tooth or would like to conceal a discolored tooth.
- You had a root canal: Crowns are usually recommended if you've had a root canal. Although root canal therapy saves your tooth, removing the pulp in the center of the tooth weakens it. Crowns add strength and stability, protecting your tooth from cracks or fractures.
- Your tooth is cracked: Constant pressure from chewing and biting can eventually cause cracked teeth to fracture. When you top your tooth with a crown, the restoration absorbs the biting forces and protects the tooth underneath.
- Your tooth is fractured: Fractured teeth can be easily restored with crowns. Adding a crown not only improves your appearance but makes eating easier.
- Your tooth is too short: Has one of your teeth always been shorter than surrounding teeth? A crown offers a simple way to extend it. Crowns are also a good choice if your teeth have become shorter due to grinding while you sleep.
- You lost a tooth: Crowns anchor dental bridges used to replace missing teeth and are also added to dental implants. A dental implant bonds to your jawbone and acts as a replacement root. The addition of a crown to the top of the implant restores the appearance and function of the missing tooth.
Crowns protect and improve your smile. Call Huntsville, AL, dentist Dr. Michael Pugh at (256) 536-3386 to schedule an appointment.