Posts for: June, 2020
Keeping your gums healthy isn’t that difficult. It starts with these helpful steps…
If your gums are constantly inflamed this could be because there is a serious infection lurking under the gums that could lead to bone, tooth and gum loss if left untreated. Since periodontitis is the leading cause of tooth loss in adults, it’s important to be able to recognize the warning signs of gum disease as soon as possible so you can make an appointment with our Huntsville, AL, dentist Dr. Michael Pugh.
Some signs of gum disease include,
- Red, inflamed gums
- Swollen, tender gums
- Bleeding gums, particularly when brushing and flossing
- Chronic bad breath
- Receding or shrinking gums
- Pockets between the teeth and gums
- A change in the way teeth fit together
In the very beginning, you may only notice that your gums look a little red or puffy. If inflamed gums do not go away after a couple of days it’s important that you see your Huntsville, AL, family dentist to find out if it could be gum disease.
Can you prevent gum disease?
Gum disease can certainly sound pretty scary when you think about it; however, if you maintain good oral hygiene you probably won’t have to worry about it. Just like decay, gum disease can be prevented with good oral care. If you want to prevent gum disease from happening to you here are some rules to follow,
- Brush at least twice a day (for at least two minutes each time)
- Floss once a day
- Use fluoride toothpaste
- Rinse with an antibacterial mouthwash
- Eat a healthy, balanced diet
- Quit or avoid smoking
- Limit alcohol consumption
Are there risk factors for gum disease?
Some factors that could increase your risk for gum disease include,
- Hormonal fluctuations (pregnant and menopausal women are at an increased risk)
- Smoking or using tobacco products
- Misaligned or crooked teeth
- Certain medications
- Poor diet
- Poor oral hygiene
If you’re on the hunt for a dentist in Huntsville, AL, that can provide you and your family with the dental care you deserve for a healthy smile then call Dr. Michael Pugh today at (256) 536-3386 to schedule cleanings and checkups for the whole family.