Posts for: April, 2020
Proper dental care at home is important for people of all ages. After all, not only does it protect you from tooth decay and gum disease, but good oral hygiene can also reduce your risk of heart disease. Although your dentist, Dr. Michael S. Pugh of Artistic Dentistry in Huntsville, AL, and his team provide general and cosmetic dentistry to patients, at-home care is still essential to maintaining proper oral health—read on to learn more.
10 Tips for At-Home Oral Care
- Make a smart toothbrush choice: Pick an angled toothbrush that has soft bristles and is the right size to fit comfortably in your mouth.
- Pick the right paste: Use a toothpaste with fluoride, this will help strengthen your teeth enamel.
- Get the right brushing motion: Hold your toothbrush at a 45-degree angle to your teeth and make small, circular motions that include your teeth and gum line.
- Make your timing right: Brush twice each day, morning and night. You should wait at least 30 minutes after eating before you brush to avoid damaging your teeth.
- Don't forget to gloss: You should floss after brushing to remove trapped food particles from between your teeth. If you find it tricky to use dental floss, try using a water flosser.
- Stick your tongue out: Don’t forget to clean your tongue with a scraper. Some toothbrushes have a cheek and tongue scraper on the base of the brush.
- Kick bad habits: Quit smoking. Avoid sugary foods/beverages, and don’t grind your teeth.
- Drink plenty of water: It’s important to keep the inside of your mouth moist. If it dries out, plaque can build up faster.
- Visit your dentist: You should make a regular 6-month visit to your Huntsville dentist for a check-up and professional cleaning. This will help reduce your risk of tooth decay, gum disease, and tooth loss.
If you’re looking for a dentist in Huntsville, call Dr. Pugh of Artistic Dentistry at (256) 536-3386.