Posts for: August, 2019
Here at Artistic Dentistry in Huntsville, AL, your dentist, Michael S. Pugh, D.M.D, uses crowns and bridges to rebuild smile. If you have been feeling the need to improve your damaged smile, read on to see if these treatments are right for you!
What are dental crowns?
Crowns are porcelain caps that are placed over a tooth in order to restore a biting/chewing functionality and improve aesthetic appearance, especially after a restorative procedure like a root canal. They also prevent tooth cracks from worsening and can protect teeth with thin enamel.
In addition to being an individual restoration, crowns are also used in conjunction with a variety of other procedures such as bridges and dental implants.
What are bridges?
These natural-looking dental appliances are used to help patients that need to replace multiple missing teeth. Consisting of a series of porcelain crowns, bridges are placed over already-existing teeth, in order to replace a missing middle tooth. Custom-made bridges are inconspicuous and can restore the natural look and functionality of your smile.
Two types of bridges exist:
- Fixed dental bridges which are bonded to existing teeth or implants and cannot be removed
- Removable bridges, which obviously can be removed if need be, and are easier to clean.
How do you care for crowns and bridges?
- Avoid biting into ice
- Eat healthy foods, like fruits and vegetables, instead of sugary foods that decay teeth
- Brush and floss your teeth every day
- Wear a nightguard if you have a jaw clenching/teeth grinding problem
- Visit your dentist on a regular basis for a dental examination
- Have your teeth cleaned every six months by a hygienist
- Use fluoride-containing products like toothpaste and mouthwash
- Drink plenty of water to wash away food debris
Need dental work? Call our Huntsville office today
For more information about crowns and bridges in the Huntsville, AL area, contact Artistic Dentistry by calling (256) 536-3386 today!